LITTLE SAINTS PRE-PRIMARY
Little Saints lies just across from the Saint Andrew's School junior and senior school grounds, on the corner of 3rd Avenue and Reid Street. Go beyond the entry gates and you are transported into a very special pre-school for grades 000, 00 and R.
Wonderfully-equipped, Little Saints is home to a stimulating, happy environment, where a tightly-knit group of very dedicated teachers provides young boys with a superb foundation for their future school lives.
A warm energy fills the school and smiles are plentiful. It truly is a home from home for each child entrusted to the care of the teachers.
The boys' days are meticulously planned out, so that they are subjected to a rich diversity of experiences, which encompass learning and playing. A wide variety of special activities are also organised each year to add spice to the children's experiences.
The school’s motto captures its ethos: “Let your inner light shine!”
ABOUT LITTLE SAINTS
1 Grade 000 (3 years old turning 4)
2 Grade 00 classes (4 years old turning 5)
2 Grade R classes (5 years old turning 6)
07:00 Gates open- All early arrivals assemble in one class under that group teacher’s supervision
07:30 Enrichment in the outside play area starts daily (water play, mud, movement, ball activities, construction, sensory, jungle gym, swings, fantasy play)
07:30 – 07h55 All group teachers open classes – Greet children and get ready for the day’s activities
08:00 – 08:10 Prayer, register, weather, news, song, rhymes etc.
08:10 – 08:40 LTA (Learn Through Activity) school readiness activities- teacher guided – maths, language, life skills – CAPS
08:40 – 08:50 Tidy up inside – move outside for concentration break – free play in enriched garden
08:50 – 09:40 Creative Play inside (paint, cutting, collage, dough, drawing, block play, construction toys, fantasy play, book corner) – free choice
09:40 – 10:00 Tidy up inside – move outside for concentration break – free play in enriched garden
10:00 – 10:30 Ring Time – music ring, movement ring, Bible ring, language ring, maths ring and whole school ring
10:30 – 10: 40 Toilet routine
10:40 – 11: 10 Refreshments – snack time with placemats, plates and flowers set out on tables
11:10 – 11:55 Free Play Outside – all teachers outside to guide free play in enriched garden
11:55 – 12:10 Tidy up outside play area – all children help to tidy up with teachers
12:10 – 12:30 LTA – language reinforcement of vocabulary, maths exercise or movement and balance development
12:30 – 12:45 Storytime
12:45 – 13:15 Rest/music listening – Parents collect their children. Play quietly at tables etc.
13:15 All children must have been collected by parents
* We are using the Department of Education CAPS programme outcomes as our reference for assessments. (Parents can inform themselves about the above mentioned programme by visiting the website of the Department of Education : www.thutong.doe.gov.za)
* The outcomes will be repeated a few times before assessment is done and assessment is informal.
* Outcomes are incorporated in different “games” and active participation by the learners is ESSENTIAL.
* Sensory activities are VITAL as well as daily MOVEMENT activities.
* Repetition of activities ensures that children get the chance to be SUCCESSFUL!
* 1st term report to parents – parent/teacher interview and discussion (Building a better parent/teacher relationship because although the education of the young child is primarily the parent’s job, we as teachers have an important role to play.)
* 2nd, 3rd and 4th term reports – written reports to parents of Grade R learners
* 2nd and 4th term reports – written reports to parents of Grade 00 and 000 learners
* Teachers will not hesitate to ask for a meeting to discuss with parents anything they deem necessary
Special activities will be organised during the year. These will vary from year to year to keep it interesting.
Grandparent’s day, ladies tea, zoo snooze, fun sports day, book education /story week.
Outings are organised to different locations according to different themes: eg. Musicon, museum, fire station, army, airforce, shop (Fruit & Veg City), garden centre etc.
Fun days at school eg. braai day, watermelon day, fantasy day, building my house day, pet day, reptile day and many more……
Tuck Shop will be held at least once a term.
End of year concert and graduation ceremony.
The school has 5 qualified teachers: –
Grade 000 Red Class- Teacher Christine Smith – 10+ years' teaching experience
Grade 00 Purple Class- Teacher Carine Oosthuizen – 25+ years' teaching experience (20 years pre-primary)
Grade 00 Green Class- Teacher Anè Maggs – 5 years' teaching experience
Grade R Yellow Class- Teacher Evone Hamaty – 5 years' teaching experience
Grade R Blue Class- Teacher Jo-Ann Oliver – 6 years' teaching experience
With the help of Our Heavenly Father, and parents that understand the tremendous responsibility of educating their own child, we as teachers at Saint Andrew’s Pre-Primary will be there for our learners on their first steps to independence and building self-confidence outside the home!
“Little Saints Motto – Let your inner light shine!”