17 August 2016 – Haxton Guiney, a loyal Old Andrean, who served Saint Andrew’s with distinction for many decades, passed away recently. A memorial service was held at the school chapel, with the Saints’ choir performing at the request of his wife, Gwyn.
Family members travelled from far and wide to attend the service, including his three sons: Bill from Christchurch in New Zealand, Matthew, Head Boy of Saints in 1972, from Cape Town, and Charles, from Johannesburg.
Below we have included some highlights from the many contributions he made to Saints and various other communities:
Haxton Guiney began his association with Saint Andrew’s in 1938, following in the footsteps of his brothers, Gerald and Ronald. His close relationship with the school would continue until his passing in 2016 at the age of 89.
He played a very active role in the school during his time as a pupil. In his matric year of 1944, Haxton captained the 1st XV rugby side and the Saints’ tennis team too. He was also a member of the 1st XI cricket team.
He also served as Deputy Head Prefect, Head of Chandler House and was Sergeant Major of the Cadet Corp.
His three sons – Bill, Matthew and Charlie – attended Saints between 1961 and 1974. Haxton, meanwhile, maintained his close links to the school by serving as secretary of the Old Boys’ Association and was on the school’s Board of Governors for 34 years.
He was one of the first recipients of the Fiat Lux Award and also received the Saints Legacy Award for his outstanding service to the school. Haxton and his family also played a prominent role in the War Memorial Fund, from which the gates at the entrance to the school were built.
In this photo, taken at Saint Andrew’s 150th anniversary celebrations in 2013, Haxton is shown receiving the Saints Legacy Award from Colin Hickling (left) and Roy Gordon.
In his later years, Haxton won national colours for tennis, representing South Africa at a number of World Veterans Championships, where he followed in the footsteps of his brother, Ronnie.
He worked for the Vacuum Oil Company, later Mobil Oil, for 43 years and was a very successful farmer in the Clocolan area.
The Saint Andrew’s Chapel hosted a well-attended memorial service for Haxton on 11 August 2016, with family members from all around South Africa and the world in attendance, along with a strong contingent of Old Andreans and farmers from the Clocolan region.
We extend our deepest sympathies to Gwyn, their children and the rest of the family.